Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
When You may Need Your Wisdom Teeth Removed
Wisdom teeth can be nasty, and from years of looking after my patients, wisdom teeth pain typically flares up during times of stress and when you least expect it. If you’re experiencing pain and discomfort from your wisdom teeth, call our team for a FREE telephone consultation, and talk to Dr Kelly Tse directly.
THE COST OF WISDOM TOOTH REMOVAL
Simple Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Simple wisdom teeth removal, (typically top teeth). This includes the exam, all x-rays and any follow up appointments if needed. Health Fund Code: 311
Surgical Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Surgical Wisdom Teeth removal, is for those more complex procedures. Includes the exam, all x-rays, and any follow up appointments if needed. Health Fund Code: 324
All 4 Wisdom Teeth Extracted
Needing to remove all 4 wisdom teeth removed, at Tooth Crusader you will never pay more than $1100. That includes the exam, all x-rays, and any follow up appointments if needed.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction – Why it May be Necessary
Wisdom teeth are the last set of permanent molars to appear in your mouth, and rather than give you wisdom, they have a reputation for being a problem, even when your oral health is good. Wisdom teeth should in theory be as useful as your other molars but because they’re located right at the back of your mouth, often there isn’t enough room in your jawbone to accommodate them. It’s not uncommon for wisdom teeth to be positioned crooked, sidewise or even still partly under your gums.
Why Remove Wisdom Teeth?
As with any type of tooth extraction, the decision to remove teeth is never taken lightly. If your wisdom teeth are properly positioned and not causing you any problems, then we’ll leave them alone. However, there are 4 main reasons that Dr Kelly Tse and her dental team at Tooth Crusader may recommend wisdom tooth extraction.
It’s difficult for you to reach your wisdom teeth with your toothbrush to clean and floss them properly and they’re at risk of becoming infected or decayed
Healthy neighbouring teeth can get damaged as wisdom teeth jostle for position
There’s not enough room in your mouth for an extra set of molars
Cysts or tumours can sometimes occur at the bottom of impacted wisdom teeth causing damage to nearby nerves, teeth, and the jawbone itself
WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTIONS NEAR ME
Our Wolli Creek dental surgery is equipped to handle even the most complex of wisdom tooth extractions.
The good news is that Dr Kelly Tse and her team at Tooth Crusader carry out wisdom tooth extraction regularly, lowering surgery costs and saving the need to visit a hospital. Understandably you may feel a little anxious about having a wisdom tooth extracted, but our team will do what we can to ensure your comfort. The recovery from wisdom teeth extractions typically only takes a few days and then you’ll be feeling back to normal lifestyle very quickly.
Process for wisdom tooth extractions
- Dr Kelly Tse and her team at Tooth Crusader will firstly examine your mouth, and take a set of x-rays, which may include a CBCT of your jaws. Only then will we have a plan on what we may need to do for you.
- On the day of the procedure, you’ll be given a local anaesthetic to numb the area around your teeth and gums.Once your tooth and gums are numb, surgery entails removing any gum tissue from around the wisdom tooth location. Should your tooth be impacted, then an incision may be needed in the gum to gain access to it. It’s then moved to one side to expose the tooth.
- Once the tooth is visible, the dental team will gently release the tooth from any tissue connecting it to the socket. Sometimes the tooth needs to be cut into sections if it’s deemed to be at risk of breaking during its removal.
- The tooth can now be removed from its socket using special surgical instruments.
- If your wisdom tooth is impacted, then it may be necessary to close the area where the tooth was with stitches. You’ll be asked to bite down on a clean piece of sterile gauze to stop any bleeding.
- The last step is for our team to give you a set of post-operative instructions and any prescriptions that you may need.
Although wisdom tooth extraction may sound a little nerve racking, it is a very common dental procedure. Dr Kelly Tse is extremely experienced in wisdom tooth extraction and has built a special surgery in Wolli Creek, so you can rest assured that you’re in a safe pair of hands. Don’t put up with problematic wisdom teeth.
Instead, why not make an appointment with Tooth Crusader, call us now on (02) 8097 1838. Disclaimer: Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Have a question? We’re here to help you!